Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Security Breach

Ok, well, not really... but sort of? Even though Hank has been crawling and creeping and cruising for two months we haven't gated off his 'room' yet, because the task of locating a long enough gate with a pass-through for us, that can be installed on a diagonal has just been too difficult to surmount. Instead we've used two large rubbermaid tubs of clothing to block the passageway. This has been working pretty well for the time being. Hank likes to pull up on the tubs, and practice standing, and roll things along the tops of the boxes, but lately he's been noticing that the tubs are keeping him in, and he's been wanting to bust out.

Fast forward to yesterday evening. I'm in the kitchen, which adjoins Hank's 'room' doing dishes before getting dinner together. Hank is in his room, banging on the tops of the tubs and talking. I hear a 'thud', a very common sound, so I just call out my reassurances and don't go check on Hank. Then things get pretty quiet and I think, 'that's odd...' I turn around and Hank is sitting on the floor in the center of the kitchen, looking up at me, grinning like an idiot, so very pleased with himself. I was so shocked to see him in our death-trap of a kitchen that I think I shrieked and immediately scooped him up and deposited him back in his room!

I was sure that he had managed to push the tubs away, and get out that way, but no... He had climbed right over them.

We are in serious trouble.

No comments: