Friday, October 17, 2008

Do Trick or Treaters come any cuter?


Getting ready for Halloween, originally uploaded by hjw3001.

Me thinks the answer is 'no', but - yes - I am biased...

Here I am with a semi-monthly update on our favorite baby boy!  Lots of developments, so I'l start a list.

Motor Skills

Holy moly, this kid can MOVE!!  He is constantly walking these days.  He is so very busy that, fortunately for us, at the end of the day he is exhausted.  He has been so beautifully happy since he started to walk that he's just a joy to watch.  We've had several evenings in the last few weeks where, between dinner and bed time, Hank just cracks himself up walking in circles around the living room, and falling down over and over and over again.  He laughs the entire time, laughs and walks and falls and laughs until he is just delirious and stumbling around like a drunken sailor.  And of course this cracks up up.  I've got video...  Check the flickr in a couple of days.   The boy is a riot these days.

New Things He's Learned

In addition to all the moving and grooving, Hank has some actual words he says now.  And even cooler, he actually seems to know how to use them properly!  He's like a Real Boy, now!  He's been using 'mama' and 'dada' for quite some time, but in the last week he's started to say 'nononononono' (usually when trying to get out of a diaper change), 'ca!' (when a cat walks by), and 'bah bye!' (when some one is leaving or, very often, when he sees I'm on the phone and about to wrap it up -- as I say 'talk to you later', and hang up, Hank says 'bah bye!').   The 'bah bye' thing has actually been evolving a bit.  He also knows 'hi', but usually says it in conjunction with 'bah bye' -- so it is 'hibahbye!'  He's waving when he says it, but he's still not quite sure which to use for arriving and which to use for leaving.  But hey, it is a great start!  And so, so funny.  'Hibahbye!!'

He's also gotten the idea of peek-a-boo down pat, and he's applied it in other contexts.  Several times in the last few days I've caught him playing hide and seek with me.  He'll see me coming and hide, and then wait for me to find him.  It is adorable!  We LOVE to play this game.  

From the 'Things I Never Thought I'd Say' Department

In the last week I've found myself saying 'is that cantaloup in my shoe?' (we eat at the coffee table, and our shoes are often under the coffee table during meals, and Hank has been eating -- and dropping -- a LOT of cantaloup), and 'get your foot out of my pants!' (uttered while I was sitting on the floor and Hank tried to use my butt as a step to climb on to the couch).

Awesome Daddy Time for Hank

I can't remember if I posted anything about having surgery, but I had my surgery and it went really well.  As a side-effect Henry has gotten to spend a lot more time doing Hank-stuff because I've been restricted from lifting Hank.  So daycare drop-offs and pick-ups, getting him up in the morning, getting him to bed at night, handling any mid-night wake ups (thankfully there haven't been many - Hank's too tired from all his walking!) have all become Henry's responsibility.  They've grown such a lovely bond in the last few weeks -- when I realized that Hank was reaching for Henry the other day I actually felt a little sad and wistful!  But I've quickly banished that thought, because I am so happy to see my two best guys totally adoring each other.  It is just lovely.  

No comments: