Saturday, November 14, 2009

Hank is TWO!


Hank is TWO!, originally uploaded by allthingssara.

Dear Hank,

Today is your second birthday and I think you have an idea of what that is all about this year! You've been interested in birthdays for months, now, what with the Happy Birthday Song being one of your favorites to sing, and repurposing all cone-shaped items as birthday hats that you place immediately on your head. I hope that I never forget the sweet little image of you dancing around our apartment with your megaphone on your head like a birthday hat singing "Happy Birthday" in total and complete delight.

We had such fun over the last couple of days. I loved making a cake for you that looked like a train -- we spent the afternoon and evening before your birthday at Geema and Geepop's house. You played with Geepop while Geema and I decorated your cake. Every so often you would run over to the counter to check on our progress. You would point excitedly, and burst out with a "that a for da birfday!" As the cake began to look like a train, you would scamper over and yell "Mama make a choo choo train!" and "Mama made it!!" Your happiness just made my heart warm.

Hank you are so, big and smart and sweet. We went to the doctor yesterday and found out that you are 31.2 pounds, 34.75 inches tall, and have 21 inch head. The doctor was very impressed with how many words you know and how well you understand and can communicate. We are always impressed with you and your smarts.

I often find myself looking at you these days and just marveling at the fact that you used to fit right inside me. I wonder, "how did you ever get in there??" And when I think about the changes you have been through in these short two years since the day you were born, I am really blown away. Your whole family is so proud of you -- you are smart and loving and learning new things all the time. Every week you seem more mature than the last one, so I am trying to soak up all the hugs and snuggles and "I love noos" I can get right now.

This morning you woke up still sleepy and needed some cuddling before launching into our day. We sat quietly on the floor in your room in the soft light of an overcast morning, you melted on to my lap and into my chest and we snuggled and I told you all about the morning two years ago when you were born. It was a sweet way to start your birthday.

I am truly lucky to be your mama.

Love, Love, Love,
Mama

1 comment:

East Bay Native Plant Gardeners said...

Your latest blog got me all teary eyed with the joy of Hank, Sara and Henry. This is all a great adventure! We are so lucky.