Tuesday, February 23, 2010

And on violin....

One of my lesser known facts is that I played violin all through elementary school. My violin lives in a closet here at the house. Unlike most of the rest of the instruments around here, I haven't let Hank know about it because, well, it is a nice instrument, not a toy, and I haven't wanted him to get his hands on it.

Here's the part where I should tell you that Hank LOVES violins. He can pick a violin out when he hears one being played. He points at pictures of violins, and says, "Violin!!".

So tonight, Hank found my violin.

When he toddled into the kitchen with the case my first reaction was to take it right away from him, but he started asking me to open the case.

H: Mama, open it! Open it!
M: Hank, I think we are going to put this away. This isn't a toy.
H: Mama, it a ukuneenee?
M: No, Dolly, it isn't a ukulele.
H: It a guitar?
M: No, not a guitar.
H: It a guitar!!
M: No, it isn't. Can you guess what it is?
H: a guitar! A ukulele!
(As I unzip the case and pull out the violin): Will you be surprised if it is a VIOLIIN??
H (whispering in reverence): haaaaaa!!! violiiiiin!!!

After a Very Serious Discussion of How the Violin Is Not A Toy, I managed to squeak out a pathetic rendition of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". Then Hank sat down with me and we played the violin together. It was great.

Our kid has some talent. :)

No comments: