Tuesday, September 11, 2007

What are you having?

Henry and I picked up a quick lunch at Ahn's on Saturday. When we went up to the counter to pay, I noticed two women were staring at me in a very analytical way. It didn't even occur to me that they were looking at my pregnancy. So when they asked "What are you having?" I thought they were talking to me about my lunch! I was so confused, especially since we had already eaten, so I said in an equally confused tone of voice, "well, I had a turkey burger...??" They laughed and laughed and said, "no, the baby! what are you having? I think it is a boy -- you are carrying high. But she says it is a girl. I hope it is a boy!" It was such a funny exchange.

Of course, it got me thinking. People keep offering different predictions, and often they are based on the same fact. For instance, I'm carrying high. Most people see that and say, 'I think you are having a girl.' But then sometimes someone will make the same comment, that I'm carrying high, and say, 'that is definitely a boy.' I just shrug and say, 'we'll let you know in November...' At the NY shower most everyone based on my shape was predicting 'girl'. Someone also predicted 'girl' because the shape of my face hasn't changed. Other girl predictions have been based on my pulse being stronger in my right wrist than in my left wrist. And then there was that dangle-the ring-over-the-belly-test. Result? Girl... so we'll see. I do have to admit that thanks to all these helpful and oh-so-scientific predictions that I have started to think of it as a girl, although my instinct in the beginning was strongly that it was a boy. So who knows?

No comments: