Wednesday, March 19, 2008

jumperoo + hank = true love


jumperoo + hank = true love, originally uploaded by allthingssara.

Well it has been a while (do all my posts start off that way these days?)... inthe alst couple of weeks Hank has been whale watching in Mendocino, to several playdates, gone to the doctor, had an ultrasound (everything is A-OK, thank goodness!!), been babysat by Grammy and Grandpa, turned four months old officially, and gotten a new jumperoo!!

I really had every intention of not allowing our home to be overrun by enormous hunks of plastic that chirp, whir, light up, and play horrid music, but man he loves this thing. We've noticed in the last couple of weeks that he really wants to test his legs and jump. Plus, he's on the verge of outgrowing his Beloved Bouncy Seat (boo hoo!) (he does this thing when he's excited where he straightens out like a plank and pushes on the bottom of the seat and nearly launches himself out the back, so it si on the verge of dangerous). We've also got a little red bumbo seat which we use to help him learn how to sit. But man, he just wants to dangle and bounce, and the jumperoo was the only way to go. We tried a doorway jumper, but I was scared he was going to swing and smash into the doorway, so that was a no-go. I guess if the jumperoo becomes hella annoying I can always take the batteries out!

So Hank's 4 month check up went pretty well -- he is growing really well (16 lbs 1 oz now, and 26 inches long!). He's meeting all his developmental milestones, and generally the doctor was really pleased with how he's coming along. The doctor did order an ultrasound of hank's spine, though, to rule out a problem with the cord. This kind of freaked us out as you can imagine -- fortunately the ultrasound showed no problems whatsoever, so we don't have to worry about it any further. Had there been a problem, we would have been talking surgery to fix the problem and prevent any developmental issues. This was all brought on my a furry patch of hair right above Hank's butt, that the doctor said could indicate a problem in the spine. Fortunately all it indicates for Hank is that he has a hairy behind. Our Mister Fuzzy Butt...

An exciting thing, the doctor said we can start giving Hank solid foods! So exciting! We haven't done it yet, this week has been pretty busy, but in the next couple of days we'll all sit down and have solids together. How fun! I bought a box of rice cereal, so we'll start with that, and then try sweet potatoes.

Tonight Henry and I are going to a workshop on how to choose child care. It is time. I can't hide my head in the sand any longer. I'm going back to work on April 28, and there's no denying it. I think in the long run it will be the best thing for all of us, but I'm feeling a bit blue about it. It is a big transition, and I'm not looking forward to it. I'm just glad I can have a part time schedule and that my parents have offered to take Hank for the three days I'm at work for the first few weeks to ease the transition. Once we find good child care for Hank, he'll be with my parents one day a week and in day care the other two. The rest of the week he'll be with Mama!!

Uh oh... someone is not enjoying the jumperoo any longer! Must go rescue Hank from the Enormous Hulking Toy...

1 comment:

Embeth said...

Wow!!! Such a big boy! Talk about eyes-look at those big blue ones! He is gorgeous!

You have inspired me to buy a jumperoo!