Thursday, July 9, 2009

Monthly update

Good god, has it been a month?? Practically.... Updating the blog has just taken a back burner lately, which is unfortunate, seeing as pretty much every day Hank does something neat-o that makes me think "oo, I need to write that down in the blog!"

So, without further ado, some highlights from the last few weeks!

Singing
Hank has learned to sing! His faves are Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (to which he's got his own words, but they include "winkle winky", E-I-E-I-O (Old MacDonald), ABC (he can get up to G, and then just repeats that over and over again), and Happy Birthday (which he sings all the time).

Hankisms
I don't think I've written any of these down, but Hank has his own words for a few things:
Dinner = dih doo
Grandpa = Gee Pa
Guitar = gihtee
Bath = Bah too

Learning and Growing
So we've been trying to establish a habit in Hank of brushing his teeth. Now that he's got some, we think we ought to do what we can to keep them nice. He was not in to it at first, but once he realized that he'd get to stand at the sink and play with water he took to it like a duck to water.

Hank is learning his colors -- it is so cool!

He's also learning his ABCs, and brings alphabet books up to us chanting "ABC! ABC! ABC!"

He's obsessed with books - we are CONSTANTLY reading.

Adventures
I'd say the biggest adventure Hank had in the last few weeks was going to the SF Pride March a couple of weekends ago. We rode BART to the City and met up with friends to march in the parade with Equality California. People kept thinking that my friend Torey, her son, Hank, and I were a family. When I would explain that I was actually straight and just there to show some support and solidarity for marriage equality, I was always blown away with the gratitude people would offer me in return. It was really rewarding to be part of the march. Bonus that Hank had an awesome time -- there were so many people to talk to and wave at, and all the noise! It was so exciting. We wrapped the day up with a lot of wonderful run-around time in the beautiful Yerba Buena Gardens. It was a terrific day.

On Tuesday Henry picked up Hank from daycare and brought him to the City to meet me for dinner. After a long walk and having some food, Hank got to run around like a maniac at Justin Herman Plaza, down by the Embarcadero. This boy just loves to run around in circles -- he just lights right up, giggles the whole time, running in circles. Cute as a button. We loved having a family night in the City.

Hank has a real friend
This is what I've really been wanting to record -- Hank has his first real friend, Zach, who he loves, adores, and talks about all the time. He's always asking for Zach, and I hear that Zach is equally in love with Hank. They play at daycare together and apparantly they are quite a hoot when they are together. I had our DCP slip Zach's mom our contact info so we can start getting them together on the side, and I am really looking forward to our first playdate. Those kids are going to be so excited when they see each other at the playground!

Non-Hank News
Henry and I joined the cult of the iPhone. And ohhhhh.... is it a nice cult to be in. My only complaint is that when I take the photos and videos off the phone and put them on my computer, they wind up upside-down and completely out of order. Last night I spent well over an hour placing all the photos in order and fixing the alignment, and then when I did the upload, everything turned upside down and I had to waste another half hour fixing the rotation! I haven't even tried to get things back in chronological order. And don't get me started on the videos. I didn't even bother with the upload because I couldn't turn them right side up!! I guess this is going to force me to use youtube, something I've been avoiding, because I can barely keep up with this blog and flickr. Who needs one more thing to maintain?

Things have been so non-stop lately. I keep hoping that they will slow down, which I know is unrealistic. I'm still not used to a commute adding so much time to my day, and I'm starting to think I'll never get used to it. I really miss the 15 minute drive.... Now my day is usually about 11 hours long, from leaving in the morning to getting home in the afternoon. I just don't think I'll ever be able to get used to that... sigh. Enough moaning, I've got videos to upload.

No comments: