Wednesday, August 1, 2007

24 Weeks!

We are 24 weeks pregnant today! Things are cooking along really well. At our prenatal appointment last week we found that the baby is measuring about 10 days ahead of schedule, but the doctor didn't want to change the due date. Personally, I just think that the baby has its daddy's big head! We've already seen in the ultrasounds that it has its daddy's nose.

We were able to straighten out the doula situation, thank goodness. I don't feel that we ever really got a clear answer from the first one as to why she didn't want to work with us, but who cares. The doula we've got now is terrific, fantastic, and we love her. Now that we have her on our side, I feel like things are starting to line up for getting this baby out come November. We've got our doula, we'll be transferred to the midwifery clinic in Walnut Creek in a few more weeks, we've got to sign up for childbirth classes and figure out where exactly we are going to put the baby after it comes out, but today I am not feeling too worried about any of it. (I reserve my right to worry about it again in the future!).

As for me, I am still feeling so much better. Things are still touch and go a bit. My OB did give me an anti-nausea medication, but I'm only taking it when absolutely necessary. I am still seeing my acupuncturist who in my opinion is like a magic healer. She's promised to have me off the medication in another week and a half. That would be so super. I've had a lot of doctors throughout my life, but my acupuncturist is the first one I've had who I really believe is a healer. I remain blown away by what she has been able to do for me. We've continued to do the gua sha treatments at each visit, and each time it becomes more difficult to get the bruising, and much easier to bleed the area, both facts meaning there is less stagnant blood in my body and I am getting better daily.

In other news last night we met up with several of Henry's relatives -- the Catlins and Paganos were in town on their whirlwind tour of California. It was so nice to see them all (there were 14 of them travelling together!) for an evening. We had a casual dinner at Taylor's Refreshers in the Ferry Building. Debbie and her girlfriend talked to me at length about their labors -- they have had 5 kids between them -- and assured me that natural is both doable and the way to go. It was great to have people tell me to avoid the drugs for a change -- seems like everyone is pushing epidurals on me, and I am not interested!

And then, we are (ok, I am) a bit concerned that a neighbor may be trying to steal Riley! He's been staying out till six in the morning lately, and the other night Henry saw a cat that looked an awful lot like Riley going into a neighbor's apartment that we can see from one of our windows. He didn't get a really good look, and there is another cat on our block that looks a lot like Riley, so I guess we still need to give them the benefit of a doubt, but for now, Riley is staying in. Don't steal my cat! Cat stealing is mean! Our other cat, Munchie, won't leave me alone -- she flops across my belly at every opportunity and lets the baby kick her. I think the baby will recognize her when it comes out.

And my parents are finally home from their Romanian wanderings! It has been weeks since I have seen them, which is really weird for me. I am hoping that they will both be recovered from their colds by Saturday so we can have some family time.

No comments: