Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A few more snapshots from the last few days....



Hank has been swinging in the real swings at the playground. Here he is during a playdate with our friend Evie (and mom Patrice, who rules!).


He's gone out for coffee a couple of times...


Here's Dad, pushing Hank on his First Real Swing Ride Ever!


Hank's new best friends are his feet. Whenever possible they are in his hands, and he is darn close to getting his toes in his mouth.

Ordering a sandwich at Whole Foods... Eggplant and Mozzarella on Focaccia, please!!

So Hank is four and a half months old now, and I've got to say, Month Four has been so much fun. I've just loved it! He's so incredibly active now, very engaged in everything around him, and constantly moving. He's dying to crawl -- he gets on his belly and starts flapping his arms and legs around in the air. I can tell he knows that somehow this is going to turn into locomotion one of these days, and it is clear that he hopes that happens soon! The only drawback to this is that he gets so frustrated that he can't actually move that he just starts flapping his limbs harder and harder and then he forgets that he can get off his tummy and starts whining and whining... He can do this over and over again. And who says staying home with a baby isn't entertaining?

He's also constantly talking -- he's got all kinds of sounds now. He babbles constantly, and even laughs now, too. The laughing is great. He looks so, so happy when he's laughing. Just cracking up with is whole body, his eyes closed, lost in the moment and joy of laughing. So cute.

The solid foods are going along really well too. He gets one meal a day. He always has some rice cereal, but then I mix in some sweet potatoes, bananas, or mangoes. I really enjoy mashing fruit up for Hank, maybe because with all the breastfeeding woes we went through I like knowing that I am making some food for him, and that he gets to eat something that didn't come out of a can or a jar. He seems to really enjoy all the foods he's tried so far. He polishes off each dish, and asks for more between each bite. When he's really into it he actually grabs the spoon as I move it towards him mouth and shoves it in himself. Up next are avocado and peas.

And my god, he is getting big!! I weighed him about a week ago and he clocked in at 17 1/2 pounds. That blew my mind! And we measured him, and he was 27 inches -- the height limit for his car seat system. This means we have to get him a big boy car seat. I was a little sad about this and haven't been able to bring myself to actually make the purchase, but I'm going to have to suck it up and do it in the next couple of days. Man, our little baby is not so little any more!! Everywere we go people are blown away by his size -- he's easilly as big as several 12 month olds we've met. But he's proportionate and hella cute, so I'm not worried.

As for myself I have a lot of moments where I am overwhelmed by how much I love being a mom. I think I've said this before, but I'll say it again -- I knew I would love it, but I had no idea how much I would love it, or what it would really be like to love doing something so much. It is so wonderful and gratifying to finally be doing something that in retrospect I really feel like I was meant to do with my time and energy. I remember before my maternity leave began telling people that I was looking forward to the time, and lots of people responded by saying 'yeah, but it is going to be so much work...' Well, they were right, it has been a lot of work, but the rewards have been overwhelming, and most days it doesn't feel like 'work'. Some days still have their stresses, and physically I usually feel like I've been bulldozed by the end of the day, but by and large I feel like I've got this parenting thing down. Henry and I make a great team, and we both are having so much fun with our kiddo.

No comments: