Saturday, April 19, 2008

Weekend Update

yummmmm..... carrroootttsss......

Finally, a quiet moment to update the masses on everything that has been going down Chez Wagmond in the last couple of weeks...

As you can see from the photo above, Hank is very into solid foods. Currently on the menu around here are:
Apples, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Peas with Mint, Pears, Avocados, Mangoes, Bananas, and Cereal

So far Hank has yet to meet a food he doesn't like. He gets so excited while he's eating that he's often grinning his way through his entire meal, and begging for more between each spoonful. It is pretty fun! Henry and I both love to feed him.

Hank also had a very important meeting at Oracle with Larry Ellison... Well, actually his meeting was with his Daddy for a lunch date a few days ago!

Hank's been super active lately. Here he is stuck part way under the couch at my parents' house. He scooched his way in there, and would have gone under all the way had he figured out how to lower his head far enough to get it under the couch too. Guess it is time to babyproof! We keep walking away and finding him in places we didn't leave him... does that make us delinquent parents? And try as we might to keep him sleeping on his back, within seconds of falling asleep Hank flips onto his belly, and eventually (while still sleeping) manages to ooch and scooch his way into the corner of his crib where he bangs his head into the side of the crib over and over again as he keeps trying to continue his journey. Does this mean we'll have a sleepwalker on our hands? And what's the definition of insanity, again?

All this activity has been really incredible to witness. He's nearly crawling, can sit with some assistance, and is constantly exploring his body. All of this activity, though, combined with teething really put him off his bottle for about a week. He seemed ok, but First-Time Mama Worries caused me to book Hank a quick visit to the pediatrician over the whole thing. Dr. thought Hank was fine, but said it was the right thing to do, to bring him in. I got some good advice on teething and we were able to talk more about feeding Hank solids, so now Henry and I know better what to do and how to do it. (turns out we should be giving Hank more solid food each day).

Ever the music lover, Hank took in an intimate acoustic performance by Grandpa. Tomorrow Hank will spend the afternoon enjoying the Brahms Requiem! So young, so cultured... how will we ever keep up?

Here's Hank with that fabulous vibrating toy that I mentioned a couple of posts ago. He still loves this thing more than anything. Who would have thought?
We also had a really fun picnic with the rest of my moms' group. It was such fun to finally meet all the dads. We kept saying to each other, 'so that's why your baby has that (nose, chin, mouth, etc)!' We lucked out with the picnic spot -- it was a horribly, horribly hot day -- unseasonably hot, and the spot we were supposed to use was in full sun. Henry noticed a redwood grove and it wasn't reserved. So we got to move our picnic into the shade, and we didn't even have to pay for the space. Had we had to stay in the sunny spot the picnic would not have been nearly as fun. I think for most of the babies this was their first really hot weekend. Hank seemed limp and hot for all of it, and I'm a bit worried as to what the summer is going to be like. Clearly we need to get him into a swimming pool, STAT...


The last bit of news from these parts is that Hank got too big for his infant car seat! We packed the baby bucket up last weekend and installed a big boy car seat in my car. I just could not believe that our kiddo had already hit the height limit for his infant seat. I spent a few days feeling wistful and sad about it, somewhat nostalgic for my tiny little baby... but now that I haven't lugged that damn bucket up or down our stairs or in or out of the car for a week I'm feeling pretty good about this milestone. (plus, now I'm not so worried that Hank's first word will be 'fuck', because I know longer mutter, 'ow! fuck! I hate this thing!' each and every time I load him in and out of the car. There was just no good way to get that bucket in and out of the car! By the end, I think I was developing carpal tunnel and tennis elbow. Not to mention the ways in which I would twist my knees and wrench my back each time I got the bucket in or out of the car... Well, enough complaining about the bucket... It is packed away awaiting a sibling for Hank, and that is exactly where it should be for now.

Hank is now five months and change and just when I think things can't get more fun, they do. Hank babbles with us, the cats, his toys, reflections, strangers on the street CONSTANTLY. He blows funny little raspberries, and squeals with delight. Just this week he became very interested in the cats, and today he got to pet them for the first time. We do airplane rides with him now, which he just loves, and hold him up in the air upside down by his ankles. I've never seen anyone smile so much. It seems like he is constantly happy (except for when he's not, and in such cases he's desperately upset... poor baby! I'm just thankful that we can usually fix whatever is bothering him pretty quickly).

Well, with that I will close. Last weekend's heat left as rapidly as it came and now we've had several nights in a row of very cold, blustery winds. I'm listening to them knock things over outside right now and buffet down the street. Happy Saturday night!

No comments: