Sunday, May 4, 2008

Another week, another...???

So the big return to work was not as bad as I thought it would be, just like everyone had assured me. In fact, it was kind of fun, and even sort of nice to have a few days to 'myself', as much as spending a day at work can be spending a day doing things for myself... but nevertheless, it was kind of fun, and nice to be out and about. But it was a big change in the way we've been spending our time, and I am pretty sure Hank felt the change too. His sleep really deteriorated, and he's been harder to console at night. Could it all just be developmental stuff (like teething and trying to crawl)? Or is it just reaction to less time with me? Who knows... all I can tell is that he seemed to be really happy on Thursday to spend all day with me -- Friday, too. I know I was happy to spend that time with Hank. In some way the time I had spent away from him during the week resulted in me enjoying our time together even more than I used to. Monday evening, once we were all three home, we all spent the evening hanging out in Hank's room, playing on the floor, trying to make the baby giggle, and it was such fun.

We managed to pack in quite a bit this weekend -- hopefully we won't be too wrecked come Monday morning... Friday night Henry and Hank hung out at home while I got to go with my friend Heather to see Duran Duran play a show in Concord. This is the friend who flew to Vegas for the night with me to see D2 play in 2003. She always calls me up when they are coming to town, usually with an extra ticket, and we go and have a blast. This is the kind of show you've got to so see with another aging Duranie, and we are each other's aging Duranie. We joked that since they are now touring on the Concord Pavillion circuit, next time it will be Konocti, then Reno, and then if we are lucky it will be South Lake Tahoe. And we'll go to every one. (actually, they oughtta do a tour where they play venues like the Filmore in SF and the Whisky in LA -- that would rock!).

Saturday we attended a memorial, and had a Raymond family dinner. Poor Hank missed his bedtime and would not go to sleep... he was so, so tired. Poor baby.

Today we spent most of the day at the Maker Faire taking in all the wonderful and wacky inventions that make up that particular Geek's Paradise. There was all kinds of metalurgy, robotics, electronics, crafty goodness, and all-over creativity. We were kind of tired, but we took it all in nonetheless. My favorite parts were a cool shadow box where you could spin the light and change the shape of the shadows, and a GIANT set of tesla coils.

Anyway, must hit the hay... Pictures of this week's various adventures are in the flickr...

2 comments:

brandarling said...

so when are you going to come see duran duran in london?

http://www.theo2.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=122&eventId=297

KateFZ said...

DUDE! I am SO jealous. I saw them in 2004 at the Garden and they were AMAZING.