Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Back from Maine

We made it back late late late last Saturday night and I've hardly had the energy to stop and mention anything about the trip. We arrived not bright eyed nor bushy tailed in Boston where Henry's family was waiting with open arms and an SUV stuffed with supplies and topped with two canoes. Sad to say my red eye survival kit did not work, and I slept most of the way on our drive north. We wound our way up through Massachusetts and New Hampshire and when we hit Maine we dropped on to the rural routes for the rest of our journey. Eventually we reached our destination, the Olde Forte Cabins (or as I began to call them part way through our stay the Old Fart Cabins thanks to a graffitied road sign down the way) and checked in.

We were right on the coast. I was surprised that in this area the sea doesn't look like the sea that I am used to. There aren't crashing waves or waide beaches. If I hadn't known we were on the sea I would have thought it was a lake or a really wide river. But in fact it was the Atlantic. It was dotted with colorful bouys marking lobster (or lobstah) traps and lots of small boats. It was really quite beautiful and calm. A very peaceful place.

We spent the rest of our week cruising up and down the penninsulas to visit teeny hamlets, canoeing, napping. I managed to break out my watercolors a couple of times. Henry and his brother tackled a 1500 piece puzzle. We ate lots of blueberry items. The weather was pretty much perfect the entire time. The 4th of July we went to the teeny town of Wiscasset to watch the very down home parade and enjoy the fireworks that night. The whole town was out for a dance. As people started to make their ways home, the skies broke loose with a thunder storm that lasted into the following morning. It was so New England.

I really like toodling around in New England. I'm sure my fondness for the topography and architecture grew while I was at Smith, and I still just like it so much. The small towns fuel my lust for going to live in a small town one day, and I find myself wishing Oakland was the type of place where decisions were made through Town Meeting and everyone knew everyone else. Obviously this could get a bit claustrophobic depending on the people, but I like to think I would get along with most of them. I guess I crave community.

A good time was had by all, but I was ready to head home when we did. It was nice to get back, see our kitties, and consider getting unpacked. Yes, the suitcases remain mostly full and on the living room floor. We'll get around to it!

I'll add some pictures with my next post.

No comments: