Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ready for the baby to come ANY MINUTE....

Whew, I made it through my last court appearance yesterday. It was pretty funny, though, and I thought I should write it down as a reminder. The family law community is pretty tight here in the East Bay, so the court staff knows me and the judge always remembers me, so when I walked in, the staff took one look at me and the court attendant got very serious with me and said, "so, where are you planning to deliver? because if you need to go, you just let me know and we'll get some of the deputies to drive you over there!" And the clerk went white and said, "I'm really not prepared for babies to be born in this court room!". One of them must have run back to warn the judge, because when she came out to take the bench, before she sat down she looked at me very sternly and said, "counsel, I just want to be sure that you are aware that this courtroom has very strict rules about NO CHILDREN in the courtroom at ANY TIME." Everyone had a good laugh, and when the hearing was over there was much well-wishing, and see you when the baby is out kind of stuff. It was a really nice way to wrap up my work commitments, seeing as I'm a solo and don't have any "coworkers" to give me crap about taking a leave.

1 comment: