Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Fear of Flying

So this week I've realized that I am feeling really scared about this whole 'having a baby thing'. I'm not really worried about being a parent, I think I am more worried about becoming a parent, the transition time that goes with it, the changes and growing pains that necessarily are part of it. I worry that I won't know how to access the patience or creativity that I think I'll need to do a good job of it. Or that I just, simply won't know what to do. I feel grateful and lucky, though, to have so many friends who have gone down this road before me, though, who are so encouraging and supportive. I know I'll be leaning on them in the coming months. One of them is taking me to babies r us to help me with a baby registry, as that is what's got me in the biggest spin right now -- so many decisions, so many options, and of course all the marketing makes a hormonal pregnant lady feel like if she makes the wrong choice, all hell will break loose!

And then I'm also actually scared of flying -- actual flying -- right now. We are set to go to Maine in a week and a half. We are taking a red eye. I am not looking forward to it (the red eye, that is. I am looking forward to the trip!). I hate red eyes under the best of circumstances, and under pregnant circumstances I can't imagine how tired and swollen and puffy I am going to be when we finally land. I'm working now on developing a mind set of relaxation and zen that will hopefully get me through the journey unscathed, but whoa... not looking forward to it. Especially as I am more prone to motion sickness these days (I may need to update the list below upon our return!). And of course I read something on the internet about a link between pressurized cabins and preterm labor, so I'm in a bit of a twist about that as well. Thankfully I've got a doctor's appointment this morning, and questions about flying are at the top of my list.

No comments: